Tame that Mane
I really look forward to winter as I am once again able to wear my scarves, oh and a newly inspired glove collection. But, get this, I have added yet another category to this esteemed list, in the form of the “winter beard”. Man am I loving it.
I grew a beard about a year and a half ago and loved it then too, but never really understood how to properly take care of my beard. I am blessed with genes that deliver a healthy, full beard in a relatively short time. But an understanding of your mane and the appropriate care it requires, will go a long way to ensuring you have a stand-out beard which will be admired by the masses.
Whether you’re an aspiring Galifianakis or the proud proprietor of just a little stubble, here’s everything you need to know to keep your face in check.
Pogonotrophy is the act of cultivating (growing and grooming) a mustache, beard, sideburns or other facial hair. Beard science! First contemplate if a beard is indeed for you. If after two to three months your efforts amount to nothing more than a patchy, wiry mix; it’s not going to get better. Accept this. Shave it off. Move on.
Should the above not describe your efforts, stay strong and fight through that itch. Often the point at which the bearded men are sorted from the boys, that itch will last but a short while. Great bearded rewards await the strong of will.
Wait a few months before trying to shape your beard, even where your master plan is to keep it short and close to the face in the bigger scheme of things. Give your beard time to grow. Over eager shaping and trimming at too early a stage, is a common mistake made by first time pogonotrophy-practitioners. Allow your beard to grow to between 2 and 4 centimeters, then commence with the grooming.
So this time round, my aim is to care lovingly for my mane. But how? The guys at Bonafide Beards kindly sent me some beard loving in the form of their Beard Grooming Startup Pack, to help me get my act together. The inspiration of the lovely Monique, who started developing a beard grooming range for her husband who was looking for something to treat his dry, scraggly beard and itchy skin. And for herself – who doesn’t love coming into contact with a beard? Gotta love her honesty!
Monique advises the key to bearded greatness is a simple daily routine of
- Cleanse with the hemp and citrus oil beard soap (spearmint flavour, left it on my desk the day I received it just for the fragrance!)
- Moisturise with the lavender, rose, geranium and citrus oil beard oil
- Treat with the sandalwood and tea tree oil beard balm
- Tame with the beard brush
Bonafide Beards offer the only complete beard grooming range in South Africa. Their products are handcrafted using all natural, organic and earth friendly ingredients. My Lime Boots loves supporting local – especially where the product is of such outstanding quality. Gives me a warn, fuzzy feeling each time I use a product from their range. Who doesn’t love warm and fuzzy? Check the end of this post for how you can get your hands on an awesome gift pack from Bonafide Beards.
Beard oil is key to a healthy mane and will keep your whisker ends from becoming tiny razor wires. What’s more, beard oil will condition those whiskers and ensure they continue growing strong. A good beard oil will also keep you from getting a showering of beard dandruff. Enough said. Get it. Use it. Look good.
Going for round two in the beard stakes, I am experiencing peoples reactions all over again. The range is varied, but at least this time I have not been told I look like Paul Kruger (political and military leader who served as President of the South African Republic from 1883 to 1900). Because I like to help chaps out here on My Lime Boots, I put together some standard retorts that you should keep to hand, ready to defend your newly found expression.
Jump onto Twitter and share your best beard retort, let’s continue the conversation.
So the good folks at Bonafide Beards haven given me an awesome beard care package to giveaway; including the Grooming Startup Pack, Grooming Tin to house all your products and Cleansing Bar Tin to keep your yummy soap in. Just for one lucky My Lime Boots reader. Excited? Man I am so amped just for you, I know it’s going to be you (yes YOU). So, what do you need to do to get your hands on this great kit? Listen up, you are just a few simple steps from taming that mane in style:
– Check out Bonafide Beards on Instagram and give them a follow.
– Check out the beard attitude posters below, find one that really speaks to your beard or someone you know with a beard.
– Capture a well styled head and shoulders shot of you showing off your beard, or that of a bearded person who inspires you (with their permission), post it on Instagram using the hashtag #MLBDoesBeards together with the poster quote to match your photographic genius.
– Once you have posted it hit me up on Twitter and in the comment section below to confirm you are in the running for this awesome prize. Use the same hashtag.
– I will select the Instagram post that best matches the shot and poster quote, and make you just such a poster. The winning poster will also be featured on our Instagram account, and to announce the winner.
– You have until midday on Wednesday 17 June 2015. This competition is open to anyone, anywhere in the world.
Looking forward to seeing your shots and creatively styled beards, but more importantly hope to see well groomed and tended beards. Remember, friends don’t let friends shave – go out there and make a statement with your manly manicured mane!
Thanks to the good chaps at Bearded Gospel Men for the poster inspiration, they do an awesome job of spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ, check them out here.